1 of a surface; not written or printed on; "blank pages"; "fill in the blank spaces"; "a clean page"; "wide white margins" [syn: clean, white]
2 void of expression; "a blank stare"
3 not charged with a bullet; "a blank cartridge"
1 a blank character used to separate successive words in writing or printing; "he said the space is the most important character in the alphabet" [syn: space]
2 a substitute for a taboo word; "I hit the blank blank car"
3 a blank gap or missing part [syn: lacuna]
4 a piece of material ready to be made into something
5 a cartridge containing an explosive charge but no bullet [syn: dummy, blank shell] v : keep the opposing (baseball) team from winning
Etymologyblank, blonc, blaunc, blaunche, from blanc, feminine blanche, from blanch "shining, bright, white," blank; akin to Modern English blink, see also blanc white. See blink, and confer blanch.
- Rhymes with: -æŋk
Adjective(all rarely used - by definition, blank is absolute and technically cannot be partial)
- Without color; lacking characteristics which give variety.
- Free from writing, printing, or marks; having an empty space to be filled in; as, blank paper; a blank check; a blank ballot.
free from writing, printing or marks
- A bullet that doesn't harm; a cartridge inserted into a gun that fires no projectile.
- A void space on a paper.
- A space to be filled in on a form or template.
- A kind of base silver money, first coined in England by Henry V., and worth about 8 pence; also, a French coin of the seventeenth century, worth about 4 pence. Nares.
- A piece of metal prepared to be made into something by a further operation, as a coin, screw, nuts.
- In the context of "dominoes": A piece or division of a piece, without spots; as, the double blank"; the six blank." In blank, with an essential portion to be supplied by another; as, to make out a check in blank.
- The space character; the character resulting from pressing the space-bar on a keyboard.
bullet that doesn't harm
void space on a paper
space to be filled in on a form or template
- Danish: rubrik
kind of base silver money
piece of metal
piece or division of a piece
- To prevent from scoring, as in a sporting event.
- The team was blanked.
to prevent from scoring
There are a number of uses for the word blank:
- the URL interpreted by most web browsers as the command to display a blank HTML document
- Blank (cartridge) a type of gun cartridge that contains gunpowder but no bullet or shot.
- Key blank, an uncut key
- Blank (solution), a solution containing no analyte, typically used to zero an analytical instrument and ensure that any reagents used do not contribute to overall measurements
- Blank (archeology) a thick, shaped stone biface of suitable size and configuration for refining into a stone tool
- Blank (Scrabble) a Scrabble tile that does not have a letter on it and can be substituted for any letter the player desires
- Another name for space character (SP)
- Visible typographical character used to represent a space character which would normally be invisible
- Tailored blank, a steel product
- See also Blank (surname)
blank in German: Blank
blank in Dutch: Blank
blank in Japanese: ブランク
Olympian, absence, absolute, aloof, arid, awayness, backward, bald, bare, barren, bashful, bewildered, black, blah, bland, blankminded, bleached, blind, blind-alley, bloodless, box, calm, cecal, characterless, chasm, chilled, chilly, chirograph, choked, choked off, clean slate, clear, closed, cold, colorless, complete, confused, constrained, constricted, contracted, cool, dazed, dead, dead-end, deadpan, deprivation, detached, devoid, discomfited, disconcerted, discreet, dismal, distant, docket, document, dossier, downright, draggy, drearisome, dreary, dry, dryasdust, dull, dusty, effete, elephantine, emotionless, emptiness, empty, empty space, empty-headed, empty-minded, empty-pated, empty-skulled, etiolated, expressionless, fade, fatuous, featureless, file, fishy, flat, forbidding, form, frigid, frosty, glassy, guarded, heavy, helpless, ho-hum, hollow, holograph, icy, impassive, impersonal, inaccessible, inane, inanity, incogitant, inexcitable, inexpressive, insipid, instrument, introverted, jejune, lack, leaden, legal document, legal instrument, legal paper, lifeless, line, low-spirited, mindless, modest, naked, neverness, nil, nirvanic, nonexistence, nonoccurrence, nonplussed, nonpresence, nothing, nothingness, nowhereness, nude, null, null and void, oblivious, official document, offish, out-and-out, overlook, oversight, pale, pallid, paper, papers, parchment, passive, pedestrian, perfect, perplexed, personal file, plain, plodding, pointless, poker-faced, poky, ponderous, preterition, pure, quietistic, rattlebrained, rattleheaded, regular, relaxed, remote, removed, repressed, reserved, restrained, reticent, retiring, roll, scatterbrained, scrip, script, scroll, sheer, shrinking, shut, skip, slow, solemn, space, spiritless, squeezed shut, standoff, standoffish, stark, sterile, stiff, stodgy, straight-out, strangulated, stuffy, subdued, subtraction, superficial, suppressed, tabula rasa, tasteless, tedious, thoughtfree, thoughtless, tranquil, unadorned, unadulterated, unaffable, unapproachable, unarrayed, uncomplicated, uncongenial, undecked, undecorated, undemonstrative, undressed, unembellished, unexpansive, unexpressive, unfurbished, ungarnished, ungenial, unideaed, unintellectual, unlively, unmixed, unoccupied, unopen, unopened, unornamented, unqualified, unreasoning, unrelieved, unsophisticated, unthinking, untrimmed, unvarnished, unvented, unventilated, utter, vacant, vacuous, vacuum, vapid, void, want, white, with nothing inside, withdrawn, without content, wooden, writ, writing, zero